Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Missing Arkansas

I'm missing summer in Arkansas. It's been over two years since I've had an Arkansas Summer. Oh sure everyone in Arkansas will complain about the heat but if it wasn't there you'd miss it. Our summer in N. Ireland was amazing and new and different...but not hot. And summer here hasn't hit yet, still in the 50s and tons of rain. I'm not sure it even gets over 70 here. For all I know it still snows here in summer. Wouldn't surprise me.

One of my favorite childhood memories was when we lived in town, on a paved road. It would get so hot in the summer that we could get a spoon and peel up balls of tar off the road, as it would melt a little. Of course we were banned from doing this because our mother was tired of all her spoons being ruined so we each had a spoon that we kept hidden in the shrubbery around the house, you can hide a great many items in a shrubbery...mothers never look there you know. As soon as that hot noon sun shone overhead and we could see the road top start to glisten we would run out and start peeling up balls of gluey tar, running back to our yard if we ever heard a car. I had weak arms so mine were always small and paled in comparison to my siblings but I was still proud of them and would hide them with pride next to my spoon. I have no memory of what came next, did we ever do anything with our tar balls or was the fun in just collecting them? Did I mention we didn't have a TV...we had a lot of time to kill. lol

I'm sure the kids and I will find lots of fun things to do this summer...but alas there will be no tar balls.

My best friend sent this to me today. :-)

THINGS I LEARNED FROM BEING RAISED IN ARKANSAS

There are 5,000 types of snakes on earth and 4,998 live in Arkansas
There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in Arkansas , plus a couple no one's seen before.
If it grows, it's a stick; if it crawls, it bites.
'Twiced' is a word.
People actually grow and eat okra
'Fixinto' is one word.
There is no such thing as 'lunch.'
There is only dinner and then supper.
Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two.
'Backwards and forwards' means I know everything about you!
Djeet is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'
You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them..
You measure distance in hours. Like its 3 hours from Fayetteville  to Little Rock.
'Fix' is a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store.
There are only four spices: salt, pepper, ranch dressing, and ketchup.
100 degrees Fahrenheit is 'a little warm.'
We have four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, still Summer and Christmas.
Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin' to Wally-World.'
A cool snap (below 70 degrees) is good pinto-bean weather.

A few of those made me blush.....but most are true!




1 comment:

  1. Aww, I found your blog through your entry at the poor_skills community about that neato dresser you made for your sons and kept reading--I'm from Arkansas, too! I'm currently living through sweltering 95 degree heat, but I know I'll miss it in the next few years when I head up to Canada. Everything in that list is so funnily accurate. XD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails