Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Long Lost Treasures!

As I mentioned, when we left for N. Ireland we gave everything away except for what we could fit in our 5x5 storage shed in AR, and there it sat for two years until 2 weeks ago when my parents came to visit us and brought our stuff with them. We have a shed on our property here, that was empty because we didn't own anything haha, so it was really convenient to just throw the items in there until I wanted to deal with them.

So, now we are unpacking about 2 boxes a day and it's just like digging for treasure and always a surprise because we honestly could not remember what all we had saved! And poor Alex, who does not remember Arkansas was so confused, he loved all his "new" toys (his old toys) but said "Where are these from? Did grandma give me these?"  I tired to explain what a storage shed was but he just said "Shed...at grandma's?" So, I finally just said yes, they are from grandma's to ease his confusion a bit. lol

I found my really nice pot set that I got as a wedding present, all our photo albums, (that stop in 2003 because that's when I got a digital camera. lol)  lots of blankets, tons of Jason's computer junk, tons of Rebecca's craft supplies, and tons of books even though we did give away 25 boxes of books when we left! Jason asked "Didn't you save anything...useful?" Not much, because useful can be replaced....special junk can't! :-) Though I did find a box with screwdrivers and an extension cord!

I found a few items that I thought would look cute on my new dresser, which I did end up filling with our photo albums and photos, they fit perfectly inside! So the top of the dresser is now a female alter of sorts, all things to do with the steps of womanhood. 

On the top is my wedding bouquet , the framed item in front of the mirror is a beautiful matrimony cross-stitch print my SIL made me, in front of that is a childhood book of mine called "How to be a mother's helper" that was written in the 60s and is awesome, in the front is a photo of my 3 children the day they were born, and my wedding photos, and my moon jar. I also have a pregnancy collage somewhere and when I find it, it will be added and of course my pregnancy cast needs to be hung on the wall nearby too. Oh, there are also rose petals from the roses Jason gave me while we were courting. :-)

Rebecca was excited to find some of her old stuffed animals, which she arranged on her bench because it was the only free spot in her room. lol (She's a packrat.)

We found Jason's old Nintendo, which the kids are just loving because we've never had a gaming system. Or TV channels. Or a cell phone that is not a pre-paid net10 one that the only thing you can do on it is talk. We're old fashioned I guess. lol Jarod has a TV and a dvd player down in the basement, Rebecca has a DSI, and we have a computer...but that's as technical as we get. Anyways, we did have a little TV that Aunt Alice had given us so we hooked that up to the Nintendo and put it in the playroom and it's been nice because it's helping Jarod with his hand-eye coordination! And the other kids enjoy it too. (And Jarod talks me into playing the games with him once in a while....though I'm horrible at it. lol)

We found our goose, dog, and bear that have outfits that you change each month. Fun!
We found Jarod's box of books! And Alex is old enough for them now so he was thrilled! I just put them in a huge plastic bin for right now, until I can build them a bookshelf. At bedtime Alex pushed it right up to his bed and read for a really long time.Jarod was also really happy to have his books back and even more special.... he can read them all on his own now!



I found a rag doll!

And my dehydrator! Which Jason used right away to make some beef jerky and then I made some banana chips! Yum!



I can't wait to see what else we dig up! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails