Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Why we Paleo

We've eaten a lot of different ways over the years as we tried to find what worked best for our family, we wanted to be healthy and our kids, especially our special needs son, to have the best start in life. Through the years we've been vegan, vegetarian, raw foodies, low-carb, no-carb, specific carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, Feingold...and more. We learned soooo much about foods along the way and how it affected our bodies differently. We did tons of research. Read books from all sides.

The most important thing we learned is that there is no right or wrong way of eating as a whole, no one type that it best for everyone. Actually that's something I've applied to every aspect of my life. What's best for me isn't best for you. Diet, religion, clothes, schooling, job, parenting, relationships...everything. You have to research everything, question everything, and find what's best for you and your lifestyle.

I have no idea what or how you should eat, only you can know that.

But boy did I learn what my body can take and my kids, until they are old enough to take over for themselves, by charting reactions. Pretty interesting stuff.

AND I learned how to cook no matter what "restrictions" we have. Jason teases me that I can find a way to make a cake no matter what is going on. lol

Being vegan showed us that we don't handle grains or sugar well.

Being vegetarian showed us that dairy hates our tummies.

Feingold showed us that processed foods cause us all kinds of problems.

Raw foodies showed us that our bodies love whole foods and everything made from scratch.

And so on.

One day I listed all the foods we can't handle (grains, dairy, sugar, beans, starches,additives) and the foods we do ok with (meat, some veggies, nuts, seed, and berries) and did some research and found that...it was pretty much a paleo diet, also called a Caveman Diet, Stone Age Diet, Hunter-Gatherer Diet or Primal Diet. Pretty much anything your ancestors picked or hunted. Tons of info on google - I'm not gonna put it all here.

We got serious about the switch after our son had his worst tummy issue ever, 2 weeks of non-stop diarrhea, I had taken him in to see about getting some bloodwork done to try to figure out how to help him as he was just getting worse, he's always had tummy issues but this was horrible. His doctor asked me if I had tried a caveman diet, I was so shocked because I had just been researching it! So, we told our son we were going to be caveman and he was pretty excited. lol

He's always had a enlarged tummy, not fat as his legs and arms were small though. In just ONE week his tummy was perfectly flat! For the first time he was proportioned right! And no more tummy issues or eczema!

All of us felt better in fact, both Jason and I lost a bunch of weight and we all have more energy. And our son, well his mental and behavior issues also improved tons - lots of progress!

The downside is it costs a lot. A whole lot. Organic, grass-fed, humanly raised foods are not cheap. We would LOVE to relocated to where we could have a tiny farm and  year-round garden. When we were eating lots of grains, pasta, bread, and potatoes...our grocery bill was so low. But of course our bodies were not happy. And our son was miserable.

Some sites I like:
http://www.fathead-movie.com/  (The movie is really good also and worth a watching.  He's really smart and uses logic and/or math to make his points, plus he's funny. )

http://www.elanaspantry.com/recipes/ (Love her recipes as they are all wholesome, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and yummy!)

http://www.livingpaleo.com/

Some books I read that were helpful.

         

















So in a nutshell our day looks like this:

Breakfast: Eggs scrambled with some veggies
Lunch: Huge veggie salad with diced chicken and sunflower seeds
Snack: Fruit
Supper: Meat, veggies

Other:
Almond milk
Smoothies made with coconut milk, fruit, and stevia.
Dried fruit and beef jerky made in our dehydrater
Moderated uses of coconut flour or almond flour to make breads and desserts.
Tons of water and daily vitamins and supplements such as trace minerals, fish oils etc.


Should you eat like this?
I have NO IDEA!
Do your own research and find out what's best for you.
I don't even know if we'll still be eating like this years from now. I just know it working for the moment. But if I ever find a better way, one that helps us even more - you can bet I'll be switching.

In the meantime, enjoy my yummy photos. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails